Alexander Weber
Alexander Weber
Main Videos Blog
< previousnext >

Starting the September challenge

Today I started my September challenge. I like monthly challenges to get something done like doing something creative, learning a new skill, etc.. One might ask: Why a challenge and not - like - just do it? I think the reason a challenge works better is because of the goal. The thought that in one month I will have created or learned something new is very motivating. Also, I don't tend to postpone my tasks to the next day and the next and the next, just because I don't feel like doing something. I have my daily tasks and if I postpone them, I might not reach the goal at the end of the month. So I'll fail and have broken my promise to myself.

So what is my September challenge? I have actually two challenges.
1) Create a video.
2) Record a song.

The video will be an old recording of myself I have discovered on an audio cassette. It's an original story I recorded as a child, apparently "dreamt up". I find it quite funny, so I'm adding children's book-like drawings to it. It'll be in German but I intend to add english subtitles. I counted the number of drawings I have to do. All in all there will be 33 different drawings. If I manage to do two drawings per day, I will be finished at mid-month with a lot of buffer. For the actual drawing I'm using a simple graphics tablet and ArtRage as the software.



The song is already written. That is the melody, the harmonies and the lyrics are done. The only thing left is the recording. One month might sound much for recording one song. For me it is just enough, because I'm not very experienced. To get a feeling about the finished song, I will first create a fully sequenced version. No live instruments and no singing. I can then add tempo changes which are difficult to record when you do play with live instruments. I don't know how professional musicians achieve this, but the software is just ticking the bars away in a set tempo. If you change your playing tempo while recording, the music won't fit the measurement in the software anymore. So my solution is doing the tempo changes first and then record, even if it won't sound as natural in the end. Maybe I'll have to check some tutorials.

So today I have already had a successful start. Drew the first two pictures and recorded some chords for the song. I will have to see how this works out during the week when I don't have as much time.

Posted on 2013-09-01 19:56:38
< previousnext >
@alexwe42 on Twitter Alexander Weber on Facebook Terms & Conditions